German Studies Graduate Program
Admission Requirements for the Graduate and Ph.D. Program
German Studies offers M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in German.
The minimum departmental requirements for admission are:
- B.A., ordinarily with a major in German or in an appropriate German language. The Office of Admissions determines degree equivalency to a B.A. for foreign students.
- A 3.0 grade-point average in the upper-division courses of undergraduate work and any previous work in a graduate school.
- A total score of at least 1000 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE aptitude test. Exceptions may be made by the departmental graduate committee on a case by case basis.
Students who do not meet requirements 1 and 2 may be admitted to the Graduate School with conditions assessed, such as specific courses to be taken or a specific GPA to be maintained.
The requirements are those stated above, but the following stipulations apply:
- The credentials presented must be equivalent to those described above, e.g. students from British or Australian universities must have a good B.A. degree in German (Second Class Honors), students from German universities must have completed at least six semesters’ study including two successfully attended Hauptseminare in Germanistik after completion of the Zwischenprªfung or Vordiplom with an equivalent grade point average of 3.0 or better for the Master of Arts level. For acceptance in the PhD program all international applicants must have completed a M.A. degree or an equivalent degree like the Erstes Staantsexamen.
- Verification of sufficient knowledge of English (a score of 550 or better on the TOEFL test and a score of 55 or better on the TSE test, where appropriate) and the GRE aptitude test.
- Original academic records (marks obtained for individual courses, Seminarscheine, Prªfungsbescheinigungen, etc.) in duplicate, one copy for the department and one copy for the Admissions office. If the originals are in any other languages than English, notarized, complete translations are also required.
206 Walker Hall
- Admission Requirements
- Financial Aid
- Master’s Degree Program
- Doctoral Degree Program
- Application Forms
- Current Graduate Students