Associate Professor of Vietnamese Language and Linguistics
Ph.D., University of Toronto, Canada
Office Hours — Spring 2020
- Mondays and Wednesdays: 10:40 to 11:30 a.m.
Biography and Areas of Interest
Andrea Pham has been at UF since 2002. Her research is on Vietnamese phonology, both segmental and supra segmental. Her works cover different dialects of Vietnamese. She has also worked on language and gender and sound change. She has published a linguistic book, two books of poems, and a number of papers on Vietnamese literature.
- 2018. Hãy nhảy cùng em – Dance with me. Bilingual collection of Pham, A. H. and Lola Haskins’ poems, translated by A. H. Pham, English adaptation by L. Haskins. Danang City: Danang Publishing House.
- 2013. Andrea Hòa Phạm, Huỳnh Yên Trầm My, Văn Công Hùng, Lý An Thành (eds.). “Văn K1 – Từ Cư Xá đến Giảng Đường [Văn K1 – from Dormitory to Lecture Hall]”. Special edition of short stories, poems and memoirs, 339 pages. Da Nang: Da Nang Publisher
- 2003. Vietnamese Tone: A New Analysis, New York: Routledge.
- 1997. Tieng Me (Mother’s Voice), collection of poems. Toronto.
- (in press) The phonemicization of the vowel [a] in Quảng Nam Vietnamese, in Bridget Drinka (ed.) Historical Linguistics 2017. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- (accepted) A statistical approach to politeness and gender-bias through personal pronouns in southern Vietnam. In Enfield, N., Sidnell, J., & Zuckerman, C. (eds.) The Anthropology of Language in Mainland Southeast Asia. Hawaii: Journal of Southeast Asian Linguistic Society. Co-author: Andrew Anh Pham.
- 2019. Vietnamese dialects – A case of sound change through contact, in Duffel, Nigel, Trang Phan and Tue Trinh (eds.) Interdisciplinary perspectives in Vietnamese Linguistics, pp. 31-66. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- 2002. Gender in addressing and self-reference in Vietnamese, in Marlis Hellinger and Hadumod Bussman (eds) Gender Across Languages, 281-312, Vol 2, Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- (in press) “Synchronic evidence for diachronic hypothesis: Vietnamese palatals.” In FORUM 39: 215-233, from 2013 LACUS (Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States).
- 2019. Five conversations between Vietnamese and American Poems. Delos, 34:2, pp. 145-162. With Lola Haskins.
- 2018. “Đôi điều khi dịch cuốn thơ Hãy nhảy cùng em” [Some issues during the translating of Hãy nhảy cùng em]. In Pham, A. H. and Lola Haskins Hãy nhảy cùng em – Dance with me, pp.228-239. Danang: Danang Publishing House.
- 2016a. Andrea Hòa Phạm. “Sự biến âm trong vần tiếng Việt: thổ ngữ làng Hến, huyện Đức Thọ, tỉnh Hà Tĩnh [Sound change in Vietnamese rhymes: the dialect of Hến Village of Đức Thọ District, Hà Tĩnh Province]”. Ngôn Ngữ Học (Journal of Vietnamese Linguistics), vol. 11, 7-28. Hanoi.
- 2016b. Kang, Yoonjung, Andrea Hòa Phạm and Benjamin Storme. “French loanwords in Vietnamese: the role of input language phonotactics and contrast in loanword adaptation”, in Adam Albright, Michelle Fullwood (eds.) Proceedings of the 2014 annual meeting on Phonology. Linguistic Society of America.
- 2014. Andrea Hòa Phạm, “Ngôn ngữ biến đổi và số phận của nguyên âm /a/ trong giọng Quảng Nam [Issues in Language change and the phonemic status of /a/ in the Quang Nam dialect].” Tạp Chí Ngôn Ngữ Học (Journal of Vietnamese Linguistics), vol. 6, 10-18. Hanoi.
- 2013. Andrea Hòa Phạm. “Synchronic evidence for diachronic hypothesis: Vietnamese palatals.” In LACUS (Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States) Forum, Vol. 39.
- 2012. Andrea Hòa Phạm, “Đọc Có 500 Năm Như Thế [Remarks on There Were 500 Years about the Quang Nam dialect and people].” Xưa Và Nay (Past and Presence Journal), Journal of Hội Khoa Học Lịch Sử Việt Nam (Vietnamese Association of Historical Sciences). Vol 404, 33-34. Hanoi.
- 2009. The identity of non-identified sounds in Vietnamese: glottal stop, prevocalic /w/, and triphthongs. Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics, Vol 34. University of Toronto Press.
- 2008. The non-issue of dialect in teaching Vietnamese. Journal of Vietnamese Studies (JSEALT), Vol 14, pp 1-17.
- 2008. Is there a Prosodic Word in Vietnamese? Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics, Vol 29, 1-29.
- 2007. Vietnamese clitics. Cahiers de linguistique – Asie Orientale. Vol 36(2), 219-244. Paris.
- 2007. Visual Techniques in Teaching Vietnamese Pronunciation. Proceedings of “Toi Khong Hieu: Improving Students’ Speaking Success in Vietnamese“, University of Maryland & Foreign Service Institute, Washington, D.C., 2007.
- 2006. Vietnamese Rhyme. Southwest Journal of Linguistics, Vol 25, 107-142.
- 2005. Vietnamese tonal system in Nghi Loc dialect – A preliminary report.Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics- Special Issue on Similarity in Phonology, Vol. 24, 183-201.
- 2003. The key phonetic properties of Vietnamese tone: a reassessment.Proceedings of 15th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Barcelona, Spain, 2003. CD-ROM, M. J. Sole, D. Recasens and J. Romeo (eds).
- 2001. A phonetic study of Vietnamese tones: Reconsideration of the Register Flip-Flop rule in reduplication. In Linguistics in Potsdam, Vol 12, 140 -158, Caroline Fery, Antony Dubach Green and Ruben van de Vijver (eds.)Proceedings of HILP5, Potsdam: Universitatsbibliothek.
- 2000. Vietnamese learners: Markedness Differential Hypothesis and English consonants. Proceedings of GASLA IV, p.152-162. University of Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania.
- 2000. Vietnamese reduplication: phonetics-phonology mismatch of tones, In the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Linguistics Association 1999, Jensen, John and Gerard Van Herk (eds.), p. 213-224. Ottawa: Cahiers Linguistiques d’Ottawa.
- 2000. Cognate objects in Vietnamese transitive verbs. Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics, Vol.17, 1999, p.173-184.
- 1998. The Coronal-Velar relationship in Vietnamese: a prosodic account. Asia Pacific Language Research Vol 1, 1998 Paul Watters (ed), Australia: Cassowary Computing Publisher.
- LIN 3201 Sounds of Human Language
- VTN 1130: Beginning Vietnamese 1
- VTN 1131: Beginning Vietnamese 2
- VTN 2220: Intermediate Vietnamese 1
- VTN 2221: Intermediate Vietnamese 2
- VTT 3500: Vietnamese Culture
- VTN 4905: Independent Study
- VTN 4930: Special Topics in Vietnamese Studies
- LIN 4930 / LIN 6571: Structure of Vietnamese