Andrea Hoa Pham
Associate Professor of Vietnamese Language and Linguistics
Ph.D., University of Toronto, Canada
Office Hours — Fall 2019
- Mondays and Wednesdays: 4:05 to 4:55 p.m.
Biography and Areas of Interest
Andrea Pham has been at UF since 2002. Her research is on Vietnamese phonology, both segmental and supra segmental. Her works cover different dialects of Vietnamese. She has also worked on language and gender, language change and second language acquisition. She has published a volume of Vietnamese poetry that she wrote, and a number of papers on Vietnamese literature.
- 2013. Andrea Hòa Phạm, Huỳnh Yên Trầm My, Văn Công Hùng, Lý An Thành (eds.). “Văn K1 – Từ Cư Xá đến Giảng Đường [Văn K1 – from Dormitory to Lecture Hall]”. Special edition of short stories, poems and memoirs, 339 pages. Da Nang: Da Nang Publisher
- 2003. Vietnamese Tone: A New Analysis, New York: Routledge.
- 1997. Tieng Me (Mother’s Voice), collection of poems. Toronto.
- 2002. Gender in addressing and self-reference in Vietnamese, in Marlis Hellinger and Hadumod Bussman (eds) Gender Across Languages, 281-312, Vol 2, Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- 2016. Andrea Hòa Phạm. “Sự biến âm trong vần tiếng Việt: thổ ngữ làng Hến, huyện Đức Thọ, tỉnh Hà Tĩnh [Sound change in Vietnamese rhymes: the dialect of Hến Village of Đức Thọ District, Hà Tĩnh Province]”. Ngôn Ngữ Học (Journal of Vietnamese Linguistics), vol. 11, 7-28. Hanoi.
- 2016. Kang, Yoonjung, Andrea Hòa Phạm and Benjamin Storme. “French loanwords in Vietnamese: the role of input language phonotactics and contrast in loanword adaptation”, in Adam Albright, Michelle Fullwood (eds.) Proceedings of the 2014 annual meeting on Phonology. Linguistic Society of America.
- 2014. Andrea Hòa Phạm, “Ngôn ngữ biến đổi và số phận của nguyên âm /a/ trong giọng Quảng Nam [Issues in Language change and the phonemic status of /a/ in the Quang Nam dialect].” Tạp Chí Ngôn Ngữ Học (Journal of Vietnamese Linguistics), vol. 6, 10-18. Hanoi.
- 2013. Andrea Hòa Phạm. “Synchronic evidence for diachronic hypothesis: Vietnamese palatals.” In LACUS (Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States) Forum, Vol. 39.
- 2012. Andrea Hòa Phạm, “Đọc Có 500 Năm Như Thế [Remarks on There Were 500 Years about the Quang Nam dialect and people].” Xưa Và Nay (Past and Presence Journal), Journal of Hội Khoa Học Lịch Sử Việt Nam (Vietnamese Association of Historical Sciences). Vol 404, 33-34. Hanoi.
- 2009. The identity of non-identified sounds in Vietnamese: glottal stop, prevocalic /w/, and triphthongs. Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics, Vol 34. University of Toronto Press.
- 2008. The non-issue of dialect in teaching Vietnamese. Journal of Vietnamese Studies (JSEALT), Vol 14, pp 1-17.
- 2008. Is there a Prosodic Word in Vietnamese? Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics, Vol 29, 1-29.
- 2007. Vietnamese clitics. Cahiers de linguistique – Asie Orientale. Vol 36(2), 219-244. Paris.
- 2007. Visual Techniques in Teaching Vietnamese Pronunciation. Proceedings of “Toi Khong Hieu: Improving Students’ Speaking Success in Vietnamese“, University of Maryland & Foreign Service Institute, Washington, D.C., 2007.
- 2006. Vietnamese Rhyme. Southwest Journal of Linguistics, Vol 25, 107-142.
- 2005. Vietnamese tonal system in Nghi Loc dialect – A preliminary report.Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics- Special Issue on Similarity in Phonology, Vol. 24, 183-201.
- 2003. The key phonetic properties of Vietnamese tone: a reassessment.Proceedings of 15th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Barcelona, Spain, 2003. CD-ROM, M. J. Sole, D. Recasens and J. Romeo (eds).
- 2001. A phonetic study of Vietnamese tones: Reconsideration of the Register Flip-Flop rule in reduplication. In Linguistics in Potsdam, Vol 12, 140 -158, Caroline Fery, Antony Dubach Green and Ruben van de Vijver (eds.)Proceedings of HILP5, Potsdam: Universitatsbibliothek.
- 2000. Vietnamese learners: Markedness Differential Hypothesis and English consonants. Proceedings of GASLA IV, p.152-162. University of Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania.
- 2000. Vietnamese reduplication: phonetics-phonology mismatch of tones, In the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Linguistics Association 1999, Jensen, John and Gerard Van Herk (eds.), p. 213-224. Ottawa: Cahiers Linguistiques d’Ottawa.
- 2000. Cognate objects in Vietnamese transitive verbs. Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics, Vol.17, 1999, p.173-184.
- 1998. The Coronal-Velar relationship in Vietnamese: a prosodic account. Asia Pacific Language Research Vol 1, 1998 Paul Watters (ed), Australia: Cassowary Computing Publisher.
- LIN 3201 Sounds of Human Language
- VTN 1130: Beginning Vietnamese 1
- VTN 1131: Beginning Vietnamese 2
- VTN 2220: Intermediate Vietnamese 1
- VTN 2221: Intermediate Vietnamese 2
- VTN 4905: Vietnamese Language and Culture